What You Should Know About Dental Crowns in Oviedo, FL
Cosmetic dentistry comprises a variety of treatments. Dental crowns are used to complement multiple procedures. They might be utilized after root canals or dental implant treatment, or to treat various issues. Talk to your dentist in Oviedo, FL, about these versatile prosthetics.
Why Choose Dr. Amit Kamat?
- One of Only 1% of Dentists with this Specialist Qualification
- Dental Implants
- Full Mouth Rehabilitation
3 Years Advanced Speciality Training in
Dr. Amit Kamat, Prosthodontist and Dr. Sejal Kamat, Orthodontist, are a Unique Team of Specialists Working Together to Provide Treatment Solutions Tailored to Your Needs.
What are Dental Crowns?
Once a crown is cemented into its position, it completely encases the tooth. A dental crown enhances the durability and strength of the original tooth.
Reasons for Crown Placement
- Reinforce a tooth which is cracked or broken
- Repair a tooth which has an old large filling
- Cover a tooth which is severely decayed
- Reinforce a tooth that has had a root canal
- Encase a dental implant
- Anchor a dental bridge
Crowns strengthen and protect the remaining tooth structure and can improve the appearance of your smile.
Types of crowns include the full ceramin crown (ideal for use on the front teeth), the ceramin-fused-to-metal crown and the all-metal crown (ideal for use on the back teeth).
The Dental Crown Procedure
- 1Before placing the crown on the tooth, the tooth will be shaped to make room for it.
- 2Then an impression of the tooth and the surrounding teeth is taken.
- 3A temporary acrylic crown is placed on the tooth.
- 4When the permanent crown is ready (1-2 weeks normally), the temporary crowns are replaced.
Reasons You Might Need Dental Crowns
You might require a dental crown for various reasons. The following circumstances are examples of situations in which crowns are needed:
- when a tooth has been greatly worn down or is broken
- if a tooth has excessive wear and contains a large filling
- when a dental bridge is used and has no support from natural teeth
- if a weak or decaying tooth is in jeopardy of breaking or cracking
- when several teeth are very discolored or misshapen
- if a dental implant has been placed in the mouth
- when cosmetic modification is necessary
- if a tooth has been given a root canal
Dental crowns may be used for children in the following situations:
- when a decayed tooth cannot support an ordinary filling
- if a child has a dental issues that would otherwise require too much anesthesia
- when a child has many dental problems and the teeth need protection
How Long Do Crowns Last?
A dental crown might last from five to 20 years. Crowns can still sustain fractures and they can get cavities. This is why you must take good care of teeth with crowns. If you brush and floss your teeth regularly, your crown should endure for longer.
One way to increase the longevity of porcelain crowns is to wear a mouth guard. This will help to protect the crown from fracturing.
What Dental Crown Treatment Entails
Dental crown treatment typically takes a few weeks to complete. These are the basic steps that this procedure involves:
- First, your dentist will numb the affected area.
- A rubber dam may be placed over the area if decay is present.
- Any decay is drilled out of the tooth.
- Then, an impression of the affected tooth and area is taken.
- The mold taken enables a technician to create a replica of the tooth.
- Temporarily, an acrylic crown is positioned over the drilled tooth.
- Once the permanent crown is ready, it is placed over the tooth permanently.
Exploring How Much Dental Crowns Cost
Dental crowns are not inexpensive, but they can last for many years. The typical price range is between $800 and $1,700. Your dental office can tell you what to expect.
If you cannot afford the cost of your crown immediately, do not worry. Innovative Dental and Orthodontics offers an assortment of reasonable financing options.
Do You Need a Dental Crown?
If you think you might need a dental crown, consult your dentist. Our office does not charge you for advice, so feel free to ask questions. We want you to find the best solutions for your dental issues. Diagnosing and implementing treatment can ensure good oral health.
What Dr. Amit Kamat Can Do for You
As a board-certified prosthodontist, Dr. Amit Kamat has received specialty training in prosthodontics. A tiny percentage of dentists receives this education (one percent of all dentists). This intensive training enables your dentist to diagnose and treat many dental problems.
Dr. Amit Kamat has undergone three years of specialized training in:
- total mouth reconstruction
- cosmetic dentistry
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation to get an opinion on your need for dental crowns or bridges.
Don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss any aspect of your dental health – we don’t charge for giving advice!